Bilingual Caseworker (Shelter Services) Bronx
Provide direct casework services including assessment, counseling crisis intervention, referral and advocacy to ensure an effective social service support plan is in place to enable the successful relocation of families to permanent housing within the community.
1. Provide advocacy and referral services to ensure clients receive appropriate benefits; entitlements and services thereby enhancing their transition to permanent housing while minimizing the length of time families are homeless.
2. Coordinate services, as needed, to stabilize the family unit, deal with problems of substance abuse, or improve housekeeping, parenting and money management skills so the goal of permanent housing may be realized.
3. Asses and identify the clients’ needs, formulate appropriate plans of service, monitor and document progress of service plans an document all significant interactions with or on behalf of the clients to ensure the clear, effective delivery of service to families and the provision of high quality social services that are in compliance with the State, City and Agency regulations.
4. Develop and maintain appropriate helping relationships with the families to assist them in making the most of their residency at the facility and facilitate their active involvement in the achievement of service goals.
5. Provide appropriate individual counseling and crisis intervention services to families help stabilize and minimize the negative impact of the family’s displacement.
6. Maintain familiarity with of-site and on-site program resources for homeless families and refer families to appropriate resources to ensure that they receive the most beneficial services.
7. Facilitate groups, as designated, to address family issues, enhance life skills, and assist families in achieving self-sufficiency and a successful transition to permanent housing.
8. Coordinate client services provided by other social services staff to ensure tat families receive the necessary and appropriate services in a timely fashion and to ensure compliance with State and City regulations.
9. Facilitate effective communication among staff, both within the Casework Unit and with other staff members. Ensure the timely and accurate transfer of relevant information to administrative staff, such as client admission and discharge and changes in public assistance cases to ensure the smooth functioning of the family and compliance with numerous regulatory agencies.
1. Facilitate effective communication with other staff within an interdisciplinary context, participate in and contribute to staff meetings and the development of policies and procedures.
2. Participate in training and staff-development activities to acquire and maintain both interpersonal and operational skills necessary for successful job performance.
Frequent interaction with diverse clients to assess and respond to their needs.
Collaborative working relationships with, and guidance to, volunteers who provide assistance in the facility.
Regular contact with other program and Social Services staff to ensure team delivery of consistent high quality services.
Education: Bachelor’s degree in Social Work or related filed required.
Experience: Minimum of one to two years experience in social services, counseling, crisis intervention, family services, preventive services or housing services. Experience facilitating groups for homeless adults, specializing knowledge of substance abuse issues and treatment, and family dynamics treatments is necessary.
Ability to communicate in Spanish and English a plus.
Related Skills: Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both written and verbal. Bilingual language ability highly desirable. PC literate, with MS-Office.
Other Requirements (including Physical Demands):
Lifting and moving objects weighing up to 30 pounds several times a week.
Climatic issues of temperature variance and ventilation association with resident facility impact delivery of services.