Human Resources Specialist
The Human Resources Specialist is responsible for the management and administration of daily activities and policies related to recruitment, onboarding, training, benefits, retirement, and leaves of absences – Family Medical Leave (FML), New York State Paid Family Leave (PFL) and Worker’s Compensation. The HR Specialist must possess extensive knowledge of human resources policies and procedures, and Federal, State, and local laws regarding employment practices, with a strong understanding of the critical obligation of documentation in the HR arena.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES including the following:
• Oversee and manage New Employee Onboarding experience.
• Coordinate all preemployment processes for background, fingerprinting, and TB (tuberculosis) testing with external sources.
• Manage New Hire Orientation. Orient new employees by creating and distributing employment-related packets; reviewing company policies; gathering and reviewing new hire forms; and explaining benefit programs.
• Complete data entry for human resources information system (HRIS) and other HR related systems and processes.
• Maintain data integrity by monitoring employee files and ensuring accuracy of data entry in HRIS.
• Manage and assist with audits related to Human Resources compliance, and Finance where necessary.
• Prepare and maintain reports and queries as required and assures data accuracy and completeness.
• Maintain filing systems for all active and terminated employees.
• Develop and maintain procedures to administer all employee benefits.
• Distribute all benefits enrollment materials and process newly eligible employee enrollments and life events with benefit carriers.
• Respond to benefits inquiries, not limited to claims, plan provisions/changes, eligibility, enrollments, and life events.
• Perform quality checks of benefits related data to ensure accuracy of all enrollments in HRIS and benefit portals for accuracy in eligibility data as well as provide reports to Finance Department for allocation/billing charges.
• Research, prepare and develop communication and educational materials for employees regarding benefits or changes in government laws that have an impact on current or new benefits.
• Responsible for coordinating the Annual Open Enrollment (Benefits) with efficiency and accuracy.
• Liaise between health insurance broker(s) and all benefit carrier representatives on employee benefits.
• Manage 401(k) plan eligibility, enrollments, contributions changes, distributions and respond to general inquiries (may include working with non-departmental Plan Administrator).
• Coordinate training of employees in the understanding and utilization of employee benefits.
• Serve as a backup to Senior HR Generalist in all aspects of processing and administering leave of absence requests and disability paperwork.
• Effectively interpret FMLA, PFL and ADA implications as they relate to leaves of absences and /disability.
• Serve as backup to Recruiter in all aspects of recruiting for the agency, but not limited to, processing job requisitions and coordinating with hiring managers, updating job requirements and job descriptions, placing job postings, candidate thorough screening, executing outreach to colleges/universities and employment services contacts, and scheduling candidate interviews.
• Utilize good judgment and discretion in the handling of confidential information .
• Review and ensure compliance with Federal, State and Local statutes.
• Conduct site visits and maintain compliance posters accordingly across all sites.
• Maintain knowledge of trends, best practices, regulatory changes and new technologies in human resources, talent management and employment law.
• Work closely with the Human Resources Team on all HR related projects, audits, and programs as assigned; provide leadership on special projects where necessary.
• Any additional duties and activities as designated by manager.
• Bachelor’s degree in human resources or related field of study preferred with minimum of three (3) to five (5) years of progressive responsibility and experience with Onboarding, Orientation, Recruitment, Benefits Administration, Worker’s Compensation, and/or leave administration.
• Must have strong knowledge of or ability to acquire knowledge of relevant employment laws, including but not limited to labor law, the Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA), New York State Paid Family Leave (PFL), New York City Safe and Sick Leave Act and Americans with Disabilities (ADA).
• Must have prior onboarding, benefits, and recruitment experience
• Must be detail oriented, highly organized, and can work independently.
• Ability to manage multiple and shifting priorities with strong follow-up skills.
• Excellent project management, time management and presentation skills.
• High level of experience and comfort working within applicant tracking and HRIS systems.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills coupled with strong interpersonal skills.
• Work to resolve issues in a proactive, respectful, and positive manner .
• Proficient in MS Office, Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint, and Adobe.
OTHER REQUIREMENTS (including Physical Demands)
• May be required to work long hours and a varied schedule to meet job demands and deadlines.
• The position will have contact internally with employees and all levels of management.
• Travelling throughout various locations in the New York City area.
• Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.